Monday, February 15, 2010

Slowly slowly catchy monkey.....

This is how I would accurately describe my BJJ journey and I'm sure I'm not alone.  For me, the lightbulbs do not go off as often as I would like them to, however when they do there is much rejoicing in the Smithy brain!!!!

To others I guess the response may very well be "well duh what did you think you were supposed to do?" but to me when things fall in to place, it's like I've discovered the meaning of life!  I had one such moment while competing last Saturday.  Playing off my back is where I seem to be at the moment and while I enjoy preventing my opponent passing my guard, I'm really (and honestly) doing fuck all else!  So the penny dropped, the heavens opened and shit fell into place and I realised the next step that i need to take is to push the game from this position a whole lot more.

This is what my coach Jeroen and others (Jason) have been telling me I'm sure but sometimes you (I) cant see the woods for the trees!!!

I comfort myself with the old saying "you have to identify a problem before you can address it" or words to that effect that and "you can't teach an old dog new tricks!"  I guess it just makes the journey that much more interesting.....

So my mantra for the time being will be sweep, consolidate, submit..... that's the plan anyway your assistance will be greatly appreciated!  See you on the mat....

No comments: